Book lovers are generally peaceful people. We know when to pick our fights. I mean, who is going to put their book down to get into an argument? But there are some things that annoy us and it would bode well for you if you never say them to us. Ever.
The following are a list of things that I’ve actually had people say to me. If you do not want to irk a bookworm, stay away from these phrases.
- I mean, it’s just a fictional character. Why cry so much over their death?
- Hey, that book you lent me recently? Yeah, I lost it.
- You waste so much money on books! Waste? WASTE? You know what else is a waste? Your life. Bye.
- Can I borrow that book once you’re done reading it? This is a direct result of point 2. We have trust issues when it comes to lending our books.
- Stop being so obsessed with books! Go out there and learn what’s happening in the real world!
- Ooh, whatcha reading? *angles book to see the cover* Unless you’ve read the book and would like to fangirl over it with us, don’t even think about talking to us when we’re reading.
- You want to buy ANOTHER book? The other books on our bookshelves got lonely. Now, SHOO!
- Couldn’t find a bookmark. I dog-eared the page instead. This is a horrible book sin, right up there with breaking the spine. Stay away from our lovelies, you monster!
- The movie was better.
There you have it. Never use these sentences and you don’t have to fear for your life when you’re around a book lover anymore.
(Note: All GIFs are from giphy.)
Book nerds, have you gotten annoyed when someone said any of the above to you? Do you have anything to add to the list? As always, let me know in the comments!