Hear ye, hear ye!
The Indian Lit Readathon is back for its third run, and as one of the organisers, I couldn’t be more excited! For those of you who don’t know, this is a readathon dedicated to reading books by authors who are Indian or of Indian origin. It’s organised by Charvi @ Not Just Fiction, Nandini @ Novels and Nebulas, and yours truly.
We’ve been organising this readathon for three years now and this time around, we have a story.
What happened to Pusthak Rajya?
Yup, you read that right. Pusthak Rajya is a fictional kingdom — it literally translates to Kingdom of Books — whose Queen has been usurped by evil ministers. And it’s in YOUR hands to reinstate Queen Aditi to the throne and bring back glory to Pusthak Rajya.
And how do you do that? By reading!
As the rebel army, you will be completing reading challenges and side quests (all bookish!) to help our fictional Queen win the war. We the organisers have always believed books can change the world, so it’s about time we showed it through a readathon, yeah?
When is the readathon?
It’s weeklong this time, from 27th July – 2nd August, 2020. Sign up here.
Let’s get to the roles.
To be a member of the rebel army, you need a role. And we have 7 for you to pick from. These are the roles and their associated reading challenges and side quests. Pick the one that suits you best and don’t forget to declare your TBR on Twitter or Instagram!
Think you’ve got the smarts? Like big books and cannot lie? This is the role for you.
- Reading prompt: Read a book with more than 400 pages
- Side quest: Recommend at least 3 Indian books on your bookish social media
Poets are usually employed by the royal court to wax eloquent about the rulers. But we don’t want you to do that (unless you want to o.O). Instead, chose this role and pick up a book of poems or two!
- Reading prompt: Read a poetry book
- Side quest: Make a poem based on your current read and share it on your bookish social media
Ready to rub shoulders with them royals? Choose this role!
- Reading prompt: Read a book featuring royalty
- Side quest: Do the bookish outfit/makeup challenge inspired by any Indian book and share it on your bookish social media
In a normal kingdom, Artists are commissioned to paint portraits of the members of the royal court. In our fictional kingdom, however, you get to read a graphic novel instead.
- Reading prompt: Read a book with illustrations
- Side quest: Make a quote art/fan art/moodboard for your current read and share it on your bookish social media
Tasters are usually employed to keep rulers safe from being poisoned by the food served to them, but you don’t have to do anything extreme here! We just want you to get your paws (and mouth if you’re so inclined) on books with a specific cover.
- Reading prompt: Read a book with food/drink on the cover
- Side quest: Take a picture of your current read with a reading snack/beverage and share it on your bookish social media
Sure, we can’t really travel to other kingdoms anymore (thanks, ‘Rona!), but that doesn’t mean you should stop travelling through books! Pick the Diplomat role to read books by diaspora authors.
- Reading prompt: Read a book written by an Indian diaspora author
- Side quest: Buddy read a book with someone from another state/country
You already know who picked this role, don’t you? 😀
God knows we could all do with some laughs now, so choose this role if you’d like a light and breezy read.
- Reading prompt: Read a book that makes you laugh
- Side quest: Make a meme about your current read and share it on your bookish social media
I don’t know what book to read for my role. What do I do?
As always, we’ve come armed with recs. And this time, we have entire Goodreads lists of ’em! Get all our recommendations and other readathon information right here.
If you’re participating, be sure to use the graphics here to declare your TBR on social. And most important of all, remember to have fun!